Location: New Orleans
Company: Southeast Louisiana Legal Services Corp.
Contact Name: Roxanne Newman
Contact Phone: (985) 345-2130
Contact Email: [email protected]
Southeast Louisiana Legal Services (SLLS) is a non-profit law firm serving the 22 parishes east of the Atchafalaya basin. We have offices in Baton Rouge, Covington, Hammond, Harvey, Houma and New Orleans. We provide free civil legal aid to low-income households.
The Development & Communications Director is responsible for shaping and implementing SLLS’ development and communications initiatives. This includes private fundraising, external relations, developing and implementing communication plans, maintaining social media for SLLS, updating the SLLS agency website, and other special duties as assigned by the Executive Director. The Development & Communications Director positions SLLS strategically for future financial growth and mission success.
1. Relevant bachelor’s degree such as marketing, public relations, or strategic planning or law degree with minimum of four years’ of fundraising experience
2. Experience in both development and nonprofit organizational/programmatic planning
3. Outstanding written, oral, computer, digital media, organizational, presentation, networking, prioritizing, time management and interpersonal skills
4. Ability to effectively communicate the work of SLLS to diverse external audiences
5. Creative, flexible, multi-tasking, detail oriented, analytical and a team player willing to pitch in and do what needs to be done, including small administrative tasks
6. Experience in planning and implementing successful fundraising events
7. Commitment to high ethical standards and access to justice for SLLS clients
8. Demonstrated ability to work independently to meet job expectations without close supervision
9. Professional, courteous and concerned about clients
10. Strong work ethic
11. Desire for professional growth and learning
12. Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs and high degree of comfort with Powerpoint, Publisher, and Excel
1. Prior civil legal aid, legal services, or other nonprofit experience.
2. Five years’ experience in development and planning work, or equivalent experience, education and/or training, sufficient to demonstrate the required knowledge and abilities to perform the duties of the position.
3. A proven track record of success in private fundraising, securing major gifts, and training staff and volunteers in development work.
4. Demonstrated history of community service and personal involvement
5. Experience with the Bloomerang (or similar CRM), Word Press, Canva, and other software to create original content
6. Experience placing media stories with mainstream press outlets (print, online, radio, TV) and cultivating relationships with reporters